Thursday 14 September 2017

amileinmymoccs: Hello Tumblr! Recently I’ve been listening to...



amileinmymoccs:

Hello Tumblr!

Recently I’ve been listening to some great podcasts and to my surprise, there are a lot of First Nations related ones! This is so inspiring to me, as I myself have a radio show on my Reserve and I think these are great topics to mention. Also one day, when I get my own website/blog up and running, I hope to make my own podcasts too! If you’re interested in listening to some that are Native-related, here are 7 that I recommend.

1. CBC’s New Fire by Lisa Charleyboy

Lisa is a blogger and social media trailblazer for young Native women. Also known as Urban Native Girl, Lisa talks about a wide variety of issues Natives face in a urban, modern day society. This is also a CBC Radio podcast so it’s great quality.

2. CBC’s Unreserved by Rosanna Deerchild

Unreserved touches on history, current issues and reconciliation in her CBC podcasts. She also celebrates successful and inspiring First Nations authors, educators,  athletes, and musicians.  

3. Kanata Pod by Indian & Cowboy

Kanata Pod is a new series that features activists and creators focused on the next 150 years of Canada. They also talk about Native representation in the community and in major media

4. Stories From the Land

Stories from the land is a wide collection of stories from different individuals from different First Nations communities across Canada. With these stories, they aim to connect all tribes with teachings and philosophy 

5. Red Man Laughing by Ryan McMahon 

Ryan McMahon shows the importance of Native humour in his podcasts. It’s something we Natives can all connect with and learn from. While being humorous, Ryan also tackles important issues such as reconciliation, youth, and families.

6. Media Indigena by Rick Harp

Media Indigena is a weekly program where a roundtable of Indigenous people talk about current issues in society. They talk about huge issues the mainstream media is too afraid to talk about and they keep it very current.

7. Missing and Murdered: Who Killed Alberta Williams?

Also a CBC podcast, this podcast is important as it goes in depth into one of the cases of the Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women in Canada. It shows first hand of the ignorance and tragedy towards the Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women cases. In this case, Alberta Williams was found dead along the “Highway of tears” (A highway in BC where many, many other Indigenous women were found murdered) in 1989 and they’ve never found her killer. Nearly thirty years later, the family and a retired cop find new evidence into solving this heartbreaking case.

There you have it, that’s what I’ve been listening to lately! I haven’t listened to every single episode yet but that’s what I’ll be doing for the next week or two lol. If you’ve listened to these as well let me know what you think! Also if you have any suggestions let me know :)

Bye for now!

Xxxx

Ryan McMahon recently did some really cool work with the older kids at the Piikani rez near where I live. It was this sleepover at the school where the kids learned about copyright and copyright infringement from an Indigenous perspective, the difference between cultural appropriation vs appreciation, and how to decide what is ok to share, with who, in what medium. 

When my mom mentioned to him that I was going to be working as a librarian at a school with a fairly large Indigenous population and would be thrilled to receive any suggestions of good resources/activities to do with the kids he got her a copy of the student and teacher versions of the project handout for me to get a better understanding of the Indigenous perspective as well as get some ideas for possible activities I could do, and also offered to meet up for a coffee chat if I had time before moving for my new job.

He’s really nice, does some really neat and varied work with kids and teens, and his sense of humour’s on point, I highly recommend.


Btw, @amileinmymoccs, I don’t know if you already know, but Kanata Pod, Red Man Laughing, and Stories from the Land are part of an all-Indigenous podcast network, Indian & Cowboy. When you’re at the point of actually getting your podcast up and running they might be an interesting place to look into a partnership.

Plus if you haven’t heard of them they have a few other podcasts for you to check out. ;)



via Tumblr http://ift.tt/2y1B6pa

No comments:

Post a Comment