Monday 24 July 2017

heathyr:sometimes ………….. books that are considered classics…………. are worse Ok, but like, this is...

heathyr:

sometimes ………….. books that are considered classics…………. are worse

Ok, but like, this is super important. 

Just because it’s a classic doesn’t mean you have to like it, and not liking it doesn’t make you uncultured or uneducated.

Books, like people, have their own personality. Much like the four parts that make up a human personality, books have their own:

Setting
Character
Plot
Language

Depending on your tastes, the language has to be a certain way, the plot has to be fast/slow paced, etc. And just like how there’s a certain trait you value in your book above the others (in my case it varies between plot and setting), you also have your turn-offs too. 

Mine is language. I find it really hard to get into stuff written in an 1800s style (Dickens, Austen, Tolkien, etc) or in Shakespearean English. I can watch them as shows without a problem, but read them? Hell to the no.

I’d rather read Kit Marlowe (Shakespeare’s rival) over Shakespeare any day. And I’m an English major with a Master’s in Library Science.

Give me Gordon Korman, Kenneth Oppel, or Eoin Colfer over Dickens and Austen.

It doesn’t mean I don’t like any classics. 

L.M. Montgomery? Her I’m strangely okay with. Original versions of fairy tales? Love ‘em. Myths and legends in old-timey language? I’m also fine with.

You’ll have some classics you’ll love and some you won’t. 

That’s okay

The trick is to try them. If you like it, keep reading. If you don’t, put it down and try something else. 

It’s okay to not finish a book. It’s your right as a reader.



via Tumblr http://ift.tt/2v1re1i

No comments:

Post a Comment